This is the home page of the Michigan Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (MI-CNS), an affiliate of the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists. Founded in 2009, the organization is growing; members include practicing CNSs from across the State of Michigan and CNS students enrolled in programs around the State.
MI-CNS Thanks Board Members for Service!
MI-CNS would like to extend heartfelt thanks to past Board of Directors members who have served as officers over the past few years. Marcia Hegstad, Mitzi Saunders, and Stephanie Schuldt – thank you for your dedication to advancing Clinical Nurse Specialists in the State of Michigan!
Fall 2016 Educational Event – in planning stages…details to follow soon!
National Clinical Nurse Specialist Recognition Week September 1-7, 2016
The MI-CNS Board of Directors extends congratulations to our Clinical Nurse Specialists colleagues during National Clinical Nurse Specialist Recognition Week, September 1-7, 2016. We applaud the important contributions of Clinical Nurse Specialists who lead efforts to build a culture of patient safety and deliver high quality, evidence based care. In recognition of this APRN role, the NACNS has posted several resources that we encourage you to share describing the unique contributions of CNSs to improve care and clinical outcomes and to reduce costs. Congratulations Colleagues!
State Legislation/Regulation – An Update from Our Colleagues
From Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners (MICNP)
HB 5400 (Click HERE to read HB 5400) was introduced by bill sponsor Rep. Ken Yonker in late February of this year and referred to the House Health Policy Committee; there will be no further action until September due to summer recess.
While this bill does not encompass the same elements as in previous attempts at passing legislation to define APRN scope of practice in our state, it does include the following:
1. The RN application processing fee increases from $24, to $75. The RN licensure fee increased from $30, to $60 per year. The NEW APRN application processing fee is $75. The NEW APRN licensure fee is $65 per year.
2. Defines the Practice of Advanced Practice Registered Nursing for nurse practitioners, clinical nurse specialists and certified nurse midwifes.
3. Authorizes APRNs to order restraints, prescribe physical therapy, and speech therapy.
4. Authorizes APRNs to autonomously prescribe non-scheduled drugs and schedule 4-5 drugs.
5. Requires an APRN to have delegated authority from a supervising physician to prescribe 2-3 scheduled drugs.
6. Adds APRNs to the list of “prescribers” in the Public Health Code.
7. Adds a Clinical Nurse Specialist to the Michigan Board of Nursing.
8. Requires the Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs (LARA), in consultation with the Michigan Board of Nursing, to promulgate rules for: continued education, training and education requirements for each APRN specialty role, the parameters of each APRN specialty role – including scope of practice.
We encourage you and your colleagues to schedule a meeting in Lansing, your local district, or invite them to your workplace to see APRNs in action! (click HERE to find your House legislator) Please email MICNP Executive Director Olivia McLaughlin at email@example.com with any feedback you get from legislators or their staff.
We continue to support legislation that allows APRNs to practice to the fullest extent of their education, training and national certification in order to increase access to health care and reduce health care costs, and we look forward to working with legislators to accomplish this now or in the future.
MI-CNS is partnering with the APRN Coalition, continuing to work on the legislation. Please contact your state representative today and share why this legislation is needed in Michigan!
The Michigan Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (MI-CNS) was founded in June 2009, becoming an officially recognized affiliate of the National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS) in September 2009.
MI-CNS is an active member of the Coalition of Michigan Organizations of Nursing (COMON).
Please visit the MI-CNS site regularly for updated information on the practice of clinical nurse specialists in the State of Michigan.
If you are experiencing issues viewing the video above please update to the latest Adobe Flash player.